Employing an invasive non-native species contractor


Some invasive non-native species, such as Japanese knotweed, which are common within domestic gardens can be difficult for the general public to treat. Sometimes it is necessary to hire professionals to treat them and this can be a daunting process.


Ultimately it is up to you to decide who you engage to carry out management of invasive non-native species on your property.

To help you make this decision we recommend that you prepare a list of questions to ask when talking to a contractor so you can determine whether you wish to appoint them to work for you.

Recommended Action

Some questions you may wish to ask include:

  • Can the contractor describe to you a clear process for removing your invasive species? This should allow you to compare treatment methods of different contractors so that you can see who is working in line with LISI recommendations.
  • Ask about past clients and seek references. This will allow you to talk to other people or organisations that have used these contractors. Ask these other clients if they were happy with the service provided. You can also ask if the problem was effectively solved or if the plant/animal has reappeared!
  • Can they show you appropriate Insurance and do they offer any guarantees after completion of their task?
  • Can they show you (if necessary) the appropriate licence(s) to work with any chemicals they may suggest? If you are asking them to work near water they will also need to be able to apply for and show you the appropriate consents from the Environment Agency.
  • Can they satisfy you of their approach to health and safety; biosecurity and risk assessment?
  • Are they willing to share their information on management approaches and contribute to the wider work of LISI? If so, they will help us to compile information on effective treatment methods.